New Orleans and 1920s–40s style traditional jazz, revitalized for modern-day listeners, dancers, and fans; with original compositions in the vintage jazz style, as well as old favorites and rare gems.
If you liked our first recording, “The Au Brothers Take Off”, you will absolutely love our new one! It features a slate of new originals, as well as a few trad jazz favorites doctored up in the Au Brothers fashion, including:
• Nagasaki – everyone’s favorite B.S. song about Japan!
• Tick-Tock – will have you dancing away the hours!
• The Wise Old Owl – cuz why not let a bird guide your love life? The #1 and #2 ranked song of the 1941 Hit Parade!
• Soignée – a tribute to the great Sidney Bechet!
• Undecided – complete with the verse you’ve never heard before, since we made it up!
• Extra Gravy – the blueist, sauciest, fat-drippingest song you’ve never heard!
• Canary Islands Rag – jazz meets calypso!
There’s a little something for everyone including swing (and balboa and blues) dancers, jazz newbies, and veteran jazz fans. To go along with the bird theme the album also features artwork by the wonderful Melissa Pagluica and the multi-talented Molly Reeves, with lettering and other assistance by Brandon Au! The artwork is specifically commissioned for and inspired by the album.
released January 1, 2016
1. Tick-Tock (Gordon Au)
Solos/mutes: Brandon, Gordon, Justin (cup), Howard
2. The Wise Old Owl (Joe Ricardel)
Solos/mutes: Gordon (plunger) trades w/ Justin, Brandon, Katie, Danny
3. Rejuvenation Blues (Gordon Au)
Solos/mutes: Katie, Gordon, Howard trades w/ Justin (plunger), Brandon
4. Nagasaki (Harry Warren, Mort Dixon)
Solos: Gordon & Brandon & Justin trade, Howard, Danny
5. Soignée (Gordon Au)
Solos/mutes: Justin (cup), Katie, Gordon, Brandon, Danny
6. Sunset Serenade (Gordon Au)
Solos: Brandon, Gordon, Justin trades w/ Katie, Howard
7. Paradise Stomp (Gordon Au)
Solos/mutes: Justin, Brandon (solotone), Katie, Gordon (solotone), Danny
8. Extra Gravy (Gordon Au)
Solos/mutes: Brandon (plunger), Gordon (pixie + plunger) trades w/ Justin (harmon), Howard
9. Canary Islands Rag (Gordon Au)
Solos/mutes: Katie, Gordon (straight) trades w/ Brandon (plunger), Justin, Gordon + Brandon + Justin trade w/ Danny
10. Lament For a Fallen Redwood (Gordon Au)
Solos/mutes: Justin (plunger) trades w/ Brandon, Gordon, Danny, Katie, Howard
11. Undecided (Sid Robin, Charlie Shavers)
Solos: Gordon & Brandon & Justin trade (straight), Howard, Katie, Danny
Arranged by Gordon Au
Tracks 1,3,5-10 © Gordon Au / Gordonburi Music (ASCAP)
Gordon Au: trumpet, vocals (2)
Brandon Au: trombone
Justin Au: trumpet
Uncle Howard Miyata: tuba, vocals (4)
Katie Cavera: banjo, guitar, vocals (4)
Danny Coots: drums
Produced by The Au Brothers
Recorded Sept. 1–2 Nacnud Studios
Mixed by Gordon Au, Rick Duncan, Peter Karl
Mastered by Peter Karl
Artwork by Melissa Pagluica (MPagluica.com
Under-tray Artwork by Molly Reeves (MollyReevesMusic.com
Lettering by Brandon Au
Album Co-Producer: Elaine Pesce
Patron of the Arts: William Au
Nizam & Missy Gulamhussein – Undecided
William Chiong & Chris Sweigard – Soignée
Bill Hoffman – Paradise Stomp
Donna & Chloe Feoranzo – Extra Gravy
Special thanks to William & Yvonne Au, Kelsey Ballance, Susie Miyata, [sponsors], [donors], Michael Steinman, Midtown Stomp, Sactown Swings, Bootlegger’s Ball, Fog City Stomp, Mark Jansen, George Smith, Ken McMurray, and our friends, family, and fans!
Copyright ©℗ 2016 Gordon Au, Brandon Au, Justin Au